Suitable for: SHOs and registrars in all surgical specialties; emergency medicine doctors
The ability to communicate effectively is a key component of a doctor's competency and has been shown to be important for patient satisfaction, adherence and a range of patient outcomes. Time-efficient communication skills can be learnt which assist doctors to achieve these goals within the context of a busy day.
- Understand the specific skills of gathering and giving information
- Demonstrate and use the effective skills of gathering and giving information following the opportunity to practice these skills
- Understand the strategies and techniques which facilitate effective communication and reduce the risk of error
- Be familiar with communication techniques for challenging consultations with patients and their relatives
- Be familiar with relevant research evidence regarding communication issues with patients and relatives