The one semester, part-time postgraduate certificate in Gerontological Nursing offers you the theoretical knowledge necessary to provide evidence-based, quality care to our older population, whether in the acute setting, residential care or rehabilitation.
This programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to critically:
- Discuss the older person and living with chronic illness and disability
- Discuss the importance of the social approach to care in the extended care setting
- Evaluate emerging health and social policy in relation to older adults from a national and international perspective
- Evaluate the available demographic information on older adults and its influence on policy formation
- Discuss person-centred care for older persons in the acute care setting based on knowledge that reflects the unique characteristic, needs and responses for older people
- Discuss and demonstrate an understanding of multiple co-morbidities and the older adult