English language requirements
Teaching in RCSI is through the medium of English, therefore all applicants* – whose first language is not English – are required to demonstrate a high level of competence in the language, by completing an English language competency test prior to applying for a programme.
* You are exempt if you completed your undergraduate/postgraduate studies full-time in the medium of the English language (three or more years, cumulatively).
English language competency tests
|IELTS (incl. online Indicator)||6.5-7.0||7.5-9.0||9|
|Cambridge CAE||Grade A/B/C||N/A||100|
|Cambridge CPE||Minimum level C1 (score of 180-199)||Grade A/B/C||100|
|Pearson PTE Academic||67-84||80+||90|
- The following tests are not accepted for admission, either they test lower levels of English and therefore don't show C1 ability or they do not test academic English. This list is indicative only and not a complete list: TIE - Test of Interactive English: Cambridge FCE (First Certificate in English), Entry Level Certificate and English Key; EFCELT; PTE General level 1, 2 and 3; Trinity ISE I and II; BEC Vantage and Preliminary.
- If you have taken another English language test that is not in the table or the list above, please contact the School of Postgraduate Studies for further information.
- Most countries have an English language testing centre, two examples in Dublin include the Centre of English Studies and University College Dublin.
- We are aware that some of the testing centres are not operating due to COVID-19 shut-downs. In response we have enabled the IELTS Indicator to be used.