The one-year part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Gerontological Nursing offers you the theoretical knowledge and the practical skills necessary to provide evidence-based, quality care to our older population, whether in the acute setting, residential care or rehabilitation.
Strand A is delivered in partnership with Beaumont Hospital. The first three modules are delivered online by RCSI and the remaining three modules are delivered in Beaumont Hospital and affiliated sites. All modules of Strand B are delivered online by RCSI.
- Strand A (RCSI/Beaumont): C10691Beaumont
- Strand B (Online programme – RCSI only): C1069RCSI
This programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to critically:
- Discuss the older person and living with chronic illness and disability.
- Discuss the importance of the social approach to care in the extended care setting.
- Evaluate emerging health and social policy in relation to older adults from a national and international perspective.
- Evaluate the available demographic information on older adults and its influence on policy formation.
- Discuss person-centred care for older persons in the acute care setting based on knowledge that reflects the unique characteristic, needs and responses for older people.
- Discuss and demonstrate an understanding of multiple co-morbidities and the older adult.