The one-year part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Gerontological Nursing offers you the theoretical knowledge and the practical skills necessary to provide evidence-based, quality care to our older population, whether in the acute setting, residential care or rehabilitation.
Delivered in partnership with Beaumont Hospital, as a student on this programme you will gain valuable clinical exposure to rehabilitation of the older person (St Joseph's Rehab, Raheny), the acute care setting (Whitworth Ward, Beaumont Hospital) and residential care (Raheny Community Nursing Unit, Raheny).
This programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to critically:
- Discuss the older person and living with chronic illness and disability.
- Discuss the importance of the social approach to care in the extended care setting.
- Evaluate emerging health and social policy in relation to older adults from a national and international perspective.
- Evaluate the available demographic information on older adults and its influence on policy formation.
- Discuss person-centred care for older persons in the acute care setting based on knowledge that reflects the unique characteristic, needs and responses for older people.
- Discuss and demonstrate an understanding of multiple co-morbidities and the older adult.