The Postgraduate Diploma in Perioperative Nursing offers nurses an opportunity to develop and enhance their professional knowledge and skills in this specialist area of practice.
Delivered in partnership with Beaumont Hospital, this one-year, part-time programme allows you to gain valuable clinical exposure in a variety of specialist theatres (e.g. neurosurgery, emergency, colorectal, breast) with an option to specialise in operating, anaesthesia or post anaesthesia nursing.
These clinical practice placements will not only further develop your knowledge base, but provide you with an opportunity to engage in reflective practice, problem-solving, and clinical decision-making within a supportive learning environment.
Course code: C10651
This programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to:
- Collaboratively manage and coordinate all phases of the perioperative experience of the surgical patient.
- Explore the principles of peri-operative nursing and the role of the nurse in providing care, based on standards of practice to the pre, intra and post-operative setting.
- Explore the disease process, surgical intervention and treatment options in the management of the surgical patient.
- Discuss the anatomy and physiology of the human body and the response to surgical intervention and anaesthesia.
- Discuss nursing theories in relation to clinical practice and the standards, protocols, and guidelines that support and guide evidence-based practice.
- Evaluate and apply specialist evidence based nursing knowledge and clinical skills to clinical practice within the specialist area.