1. Who we are
We are the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland of 123 St Stephen’s Green Dublin DO2 YN77. You can contact us at this address by post or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our data protection officer may be contacted by email at email@example.com.
2. Why we process your data, the lawful basis for processing your data and with whom we share it
A. For people who view and interact with our website, we process data:
- to sign up to newsletters when you request subscription through our website
The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in the administration and operation of academic, research and commercial activities along with our legitimate interest in marketing and promoting RCSI’s academic and research offering. We always include an unsubscribe button in our communications so you can opt out of receiving such communications at any time. RCSI commits to not processing your personal data where these legitimate interests are overridden by your own interests.
B. For our prospective students, we process data:
- in order to promote RCSI Undergraduate courses, open evenings, open days and other related RCSI outreach activities
- to provide you with updates and notifications to which you have subscribed
The legal basis for the processing of this data is necessary for the purpose of the legitimate interests of RCSI in promoting its courses and programmes. We always include an unsubscribe button in our communications, so you can opt out of receiving such communications at any time.
C. For job applicants to RCSI, we process data:
- to conduct recruitment in an orderly, efficient and accountable manner
- to deliver recruitment services in a consistent and equitable manner
- to facilitate the efficient handling of enquiries concerning recruitment records
- to meet legislative and regulatory requirements, including archival, data access requests, audit, and oversight activities
- to ensure that adequate records are kept of all recruitment activities
The legal basis for this processing is processing necessary for the purpose of the legitimate interests of RCSI in recruiting new staff. Please see the privacy notice in the job advertisement for further information about how we process applicant data.
We may share the information you provide in your application with our contracted recruiter in order to make a shortlist of candidates. This recruiter is not permitted to use this data other than on our behalf. We may also send you emails about your application through our email service provider.
We will retain this data for the period of time and as per the rationale documented in our Retention Policy.
3. Transfers of data outside the European Economic Area
If we transfer personal data relating to our academic and/or research endeavours to a service provider located in a country outside the EEA, we shall safeguard the transfer of this personal data by ensuring that we have European Commission approved standard contractual clauses in place with the provider.
4. Your rights relating to personal data
You have the following rights under the GDPR, in certain circumstances and subject to certain exemptions, in relation to your personal data:
- right to access the data - you have the right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you, together with other information about our processing of that personal data.
- right to rectification - you have the right to request that any inaccurate data that is held about you is corrected, or if we have incomplete information you may request that we update the information such that it is complete.
- right to erasure - you have the right to request us to delete personal data that we hold about you. This is sometimes referred to as the right to be forgotten.
- right to restriction of processing or to object to processing - you have the right to request that we no longer process your personal data for particular purposes, or to object to our processing of your personal data for particular purposes.
- right to data portability - you have the right to request us to provide you, or a third party, with a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format.
In order to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If we are processing personal data based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time. This does not affect the lawfulness of processing which took place prior to its withdrawal.
If you are unhappy with how we process personal data, we ask you to contact us so that we can rectify the situation.
You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The Irish supervisory authority is the Data Protection Commission (DPC).
5. Requirement to process personal data
You may browse our website without providing us with any personal data and this will not affect your ability to view our website.
If you do not provide us with your information for the purposes described above, we cannot send you our newsletter, respond to your queries sent through our contact us form, liaise with you on RCSI or assess your potential suitability for a role within RCSI.
6. Automated decision-making and profiling
We do not use any personal data for the purpose of automated decision-making or profiling.
RCSI collects information about all visitors to our website for the purpose of producing statistical reports of online traffic to identify how we can optimise our website. Every data file contains the following information.
- The referring website from which you came when visiting us
- The IP address
- Time and date of website access
- User agent (browser)
- HTTP code (secure channel or standard channel)
- Bytes served
- Information on browser and operating system that you used at the time of accessing the site
Information on internet traffic is collected routinely by RCSI and by its service providers (eg, HEAnet). This information is used to ensure the smooth operation of the RCSI website and for statistical or administrative purposes. It is not used to gather identifiable personal information on individual website visitors, except in so far as this is permitted by law and may be necessary in order to prevent or detect problems or offences in relation to the operation of the website. It is stored and used in the aggregate only and is not used to identify individuals or to contact you personally.
Adequate organisational and technical security measures, which are reviewed on a regular basis, are taken to ensure the security of your personal information.
Cookies are small files which typically consist of letters and numbers which are placed on your end device when you visit our website. Some cookies are necessary for the website to function, others are used by RCSI to track usage of the website to further optimise the website. Here is some further information as to the types of cookies used on this website.
Types of cookies
Session cookies are stored temporarily during a browsing session and are deleted from the user’s device when the browser is closed.
This type of cookie is saved on your computer for a fixed period and is not deleted when the browser is closed.
This website uses Google Analytics for the purposes of analysing web traffic. The following links will give you further information on how this is done and how you can opt out of such tracking.
- Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites
- How to opt-out of Google Analytics
By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
How do I change my cookie settings?
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit aboutcookies.org or allaboutcookies.org
This policy should not be construed as a contractual undertaking. The College reserves the right to review and amend this at any time without notice and you should, therefore, re-visit this webpage from time to time.
Any queries or concerns you may have about the processing of personal information on this website should be addressed to:
Data Protection Officer
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
123 St Stephen’s Green