This module focuses on the development of knowledge, advanced reasoning and practical skills for the use of injection therapy in upper and lower limb musculoskeletal conditions. The module is delivered by senior faculty in the RCSI Schools of Medicine, Physiotherapy and Pharmacy.
2021 course dates
- Thursday, 6 and Friday, 7 May 2021
- Thursday, 13 and Friday, 14 May 2021
- Friday, 11 June 2021
All course dates are on site at RCSI, 123 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.
Please note: Applications are now closed for this module. Please refer to this page for further updates.
Module content includes:
- Review of relevant musculoskeletal anatomy
- Principles of injection therapy techniques
- Clinical decision-making
- Pharmacology of joint and soft tissue injection therapy
On completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced clinical reasoning in relation to the rationale for, and evaluation of, injection therapy in the management of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the evidence base for the use of injection therapy as a singular or adjunctive therapy.
- Demonstrate safe, effective and competent practice in the technical application of injection therapy.
- Understand the ethical, legal, health and safety issues regarding the use of injection therapy.
- 2,500 word written assignment related to musculoskeletal injection therapy (40%).
- Practice placement portfolio (2,000 words) demonstrating evidence of clinical reasoning related to use of injection therapy.
This must also include a record sheet which demonstrates evidence of 10 successfully completed injections supervised by mentor (record sheet not graded).