Dr Nitya Kumar
Lecturer in Public Health Epidemiology, RCSI Bahrain
Area of Expertise
Quantitative Research Methods, Epidemiology and Public Health Research. Current research interests include determinants of chronic breast cancer and other non-communicable diseases, health impact of indoor air pollution in low- and middle-income communities, determinants of severe outcomes in COVID-19 disease.
- PhD Public Health Nutrition, University of Baroda, 2015
- MS, Epidemiology, Harvard University, 2018
- MFCSc, Public Health Nutrition, University of Baroda, 2008
- BSc Nutrition, University of Baroda, 2006
Awards and Honors
- 2008, Research Fellowship Award in Sciences for Meritorious Students, Government of India
- Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER)
Current areas of activity
- Lecturer, Public Health Epidemiology module for Junior Cycle 3
- Supervisor and coordinator of data analysis for Student Selective Project module for Intermediate Cycle 3
- Lecturer and module coordinator for Epidemiology & Biostatistics module for Nursing Year 2.
- Conducting Quantitative Research teaching for the Family Practice Research Workshops under MOH family practice residency.
- Project member in the Smokeless Village Project funded by the Irish Research Council.
- Actively involved in multiple research project across campuses, as well as collaborating with Bahrain National COVID-19 Task Force on observational research.
- Statistical Advisor and member of the RCSI Research and Ethics Committee
- Academic lead for Year 1 learning community
- Personal Tutor for foundation year learning community
- Statin use and breast cancer recurrence in United States.
- Interventions to reduce exposure to indoor air pollution in resource-poor communities in Malawi.
- Students are welcome to contact me for participation in research.
- Kumar N, Phillip E, Cooper H, Davis M, Langevin J, Clifford M, Stanistreet D. Do improved biomass cookstove interventions improve indoor air quality and blood pressure? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Environmental Pollution. 2021 Dec 1; 290: 117997.
- Kumar N, AbdulRahman A, AlAwadhi AI et al. Is glucose-6-phosphatase dehydrogenase deficiency associated with severe outcomes in hospitalized COVID-19 patients? Scientific Reports 2021; 11: 19213.
- Kumar N, AbdulRahman A, AlAli S, Otoom S, Atkin SL, AlQahtani M. Time Till Viral Clearance of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Is Similar for Asymptomatic and Non-critically Symptomatic Individuals. Frontiers in medicine. 2021;8.
- McCarthy A, Kumar N, He W, Regan S, Welch M, Moy B, Iafrate AJ, Chan AT, Bardia A and Armstrong K. Different associations of tumor PIK3CA mutations and clinical outcomes according to aspirin use among women with metastatic hormone receptor positive breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2020; 20(1), 1-10.
- Abdulrahman A, Wael M, AlAmmadi F, Almosawi Z, Alsherooqi R, Abduljalil M, Kumar N, AlQahtani M. Is sickle cell disease a risk factor for severe COVID‐19 outcomes in hospitalized patients? A multicenter national retrospective cohort study. eJHaem. 2021 eb 10.
- Moin AS, Kahal H, Al-Qaissi A, Kumar N, Sathyapalan T, Atkin SL, Butler AE. Amyloid-related protein changes associated with dementia differ according to severity of hypoglycemia. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care. 2021 Apr 1;9(1):e002211.
- Liu JC, Ismael AA, Zaidi A, Ban W, Almutawa SE, Chatha AA, Abuzeyad FH, Jaafar RI, Alghanem SA, Al Qassim G, Kumar N, Corbally M. Epidemiology of pediatric trauma in the Kingdom of Bahrain: a national pediatric trauma registry pilot study. Injury epidemiology. 2021 Dec;8(1):1-2.
- Stanistreet D, Phillip E, Kumar N, Anderson de Cuevas R, Davis M, Langevin J, Jumbe V, Walsh A, Jewitt S, Clifford M. Which Biomass Stove (s) Capable of Reducing Household Air Pollution Are Available to the Poorest Communities Globally?. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021 Jan;18(17):9226.
- Kumar N, and Iyer U. Impact of Wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum L.) Supplementation on Atherogenic Lipoproteins and Menopausal Symptoms in Hyperlipidemic South Asian Women–A Randomized Controlled Study. Journal of Dietary Supplements. 2017; 14(5), 503-513.
- Osman E, Alnaib Z, and Kumar N. Photodynamic diagnosis in upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma: a systematic review. Arab Journal of Urology, 2017; 15(2), 100-109.
- Iyer U, Elayath N, & Akolkar A. Magnitude and determinants of overweight and obesity in 6–12 year old school children of Vadodara City. Current Pediatric Research, 2011; 15(2), 105-109.
- Iyer U, & Elayath N. Health seeking practices of women: a key issue to be addressed for women empowerment and health care sustainability. Social Work Review, 2015; 107.
- Iyer U, Dhruv S, Elayath N, et al. Development, Acceptability, Physico-Chemical Properties and Tolerance Studies on an Antioxidant Rich Health Drink Enriched with Wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum Grass) and Indian Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis). Inventi Impact: Nutraceuticals, 2011; 3, 120-123.
- Iyer U, Elayath N, & Desai P. Comparative prevalence of non-communicable diseases in the adult population of Vadodara and Godhra in Gujarat and determinants of diabetes mellitus in the population. International J of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology 2011; 2(1), 346-352.