Dr May McCreaddieSenior Lecturer
Area of Expertise
Healthcare interactions, Communication, humour, complaints about healthcare, grounded theory, linguistic analysis
- PhD Psychology (University of Strathclyde, UK) 2009
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Professional Education (QMUC, Edinburgh, UK).
- Registered Nurse Tutor (2001).
- Master of Education (University of Stirling, UK).
- BA Educational Studies (University of Stirling, UK).
- Professional Studies 1 (Glasgow, UK)
- Registered General Nurse (Glasgow,UK)
Current areas of activity
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Nursing programmes.
- McCreaddie, M., Harrison, J. (forthcoming) Humour and Laughter Chapter XX In. Hargie O. (editor) Communication skill in theory and practice. 4th edition. Routledge : London
- McCreaddie, M., Kuzemski, D., Griffiths, J., Sojka E.M., Fielding M., Al Yateem N., Williams J.J. (2017) Developing nursing research in the United Arab Emirates: a narrative review. International Nursing Review. 11 OCT 2017, DOI:10.1111/inr.12405
- Benwell, B., McCreaddie, M. (2017): Managing patients’ expectations in telephone complaints. Chapter In Van De Mieroop, D., Schnurr, S. (Eds) Identity Struggles: Evidence from Workplaces around the World. Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture, 69, Amsterdam/New York: John Benjamins, pp. 243-262. )
- Benwell, B., McCreaddie, M. (2016) Keeping ‘small talk’ small in healthcare encounters: negotiating the boundaries between on- and off-task talk. Research on Language and Social Interaction. pp 258 – 271 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08351813.2016.1196548
- McCreaddie, M. (2016) Poor wee souls and fraggle rock; the visceral humour of nurse-peers in a non-accomplishment setting. Humor; International Journal of Humor Research Special Issue. DOI 10.1515/humor-2015-0048
- 2017 External adviser to United Arab Emirates Nursing and Midwifery Council Scientific Research Sub-Group
- 2014 Shortlisted; Times Higher Education (THE) ‘most innovative lecturer’, UK
- 2012 Society of Gastroenterology Nurses’ Association (SGNA) Gastroenterology Nursing Journal Excellence in Clinical Practice in Writing Award, USA
- 2001 RCN/Nursing Standard Robert Tiffany International Award, UK for the development and delivery of the DfiD Indo-UK HIV course, Chidambaram College (MAC), Chennai, India