Dr May McCreaddieSenior Lecturer
Area of Expertise
Healthcare interactions, Communication, humour, complaints about healthcare, grounded theory, linguistic analysis
- PhD Psychology (University of Strathclyde, UK) 2009
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Professional Education (QMUC, Edinburgh, UK).
- Registered Nurse Tutor (2001).
- Master of Education (University of Stirling, UK).
- BA Educational Studies (University of Stirling, UK).
- Professional Studies 1 (Glasgow, UK)
- Registered General Nurse (Glasgow,UK)
Current areas of activity
- BSc Nursing
- MSc Nursing
- Research Ethics Committee
- Quality Monitoring Sub-Committee.
Various – over 200K(GBP) e.g. cancer, recruitment/retention, Hepatitis C, Needlestick injury
- Al Yateem N., Griffiths, J., McCreaddie, M., Kuzemski, D., Sojka E.M., Fielding M., Williams J.J(2019) Barriers to conducting and using research among nurses in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). A national scoping study for the Research Committee of the UAE Nursing and Midwifery Council. Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice. 0(0) 1–12
- McCreaddie, M., Benwell, B, and Gritti, A. (2018) Traumatic Journeys: understanding the rhetoric of patients’ complaints. BMC Health Services Research. 18:551 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3339-8
- McCreaddie, M., Harrison, J. (2018) Humour and Laughter Chapter 9. In. Hargie O. (editor) Communication skill in theory and practice. 4th edition Routledge : London
- McCreaddie, M., Kuzemski, D., Griffiths, J., Sojka E.M., Fielding M., Al Yateem N., Williams J.J. (2017) Developing nursing research in the United Arab Emirates: a narrative review. International Nursing Review. 65 (1) 93 – 101.
- Benwell, B., McCreaddie, M. (2016) Keeping ‘small talk’ small in healthcare encounters: negotiating the boundaries between on- and off-task talk. Research on Language and Social Interaction. pp 258 – 271 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08351813.2016.1196548
- Benwell, B., McCreaddie, M. (2016): Managing patients’ expectations in telephone complaints. Chapter In Van De Mieroop, D., Schnurr, S. (Eds) Identity Struggles: Evidence from Workplaces around the World. Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture, 69, Amsterdam/New York: John Benjamins, pp. 243-262.
- McCreaddie, M. (2016) Poor wee souls and fraggle rock; the visceral humour of nurse-peers in a non-accomplishment setting. Humor; International Journal of Humor Research Special Issue. DOI 10.1515/humor-2015-0048
Recent invited plenaries
- 2019 Arab Health, invited plenary speaker McCreaddie, M., Patient Safety: the case of healthcare complaints.
- 2018 2nd International Nursing and Midwifery Congress, Millenium Airport, Dubai, UAE 2017 McCreaddie, M., Benwell, B., Gritti, A. Traumatic journeys: understanding the rhetoric of patients’ complaints
- 2017 Arab Health 2017, invited plenary speaker McCreaddie, M. Developing Nursing and Midwifery research in the UAE and GCC
- 2017 External adviser to United Arab Emirates Nursing and Midwifery Council Research Sub-Group
- Health Research Board (Ireland) grant reviewer
- Reviewer for Journal of Clinical Nursing, Journal of Nursing Research, Palliative Medicine
- Member of: International Society of Humour Studies
- 2014 Shortlisted; Times Higher Education (THE) ‘most innovative lecturer’, UK
- 2012 Society of Gastroenterology Nurses’ Association (SGNA) Gastroenterology Nursing Journal Excellence in Clinical Practice in Writing Award, USA
- 2001 RCN/Nursing Standard Robert Tiffany International Award, UK for the development and delivery of the DfiD Indo-UK HIV course, Chidambaram College (MAC), Chennai, India