Professor Steve SafranyAssociate Professor of Pharmacology
Area of expertise
Inositol phosphate effects and metabolism; receptor pharmacology; anti-cancer drugs; Nudix hydrolase enzymes; phytases; cellular signalling; sigma-1 receptors; sigma-2 receptors; aspirin analogues; effects of 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ala) on cancer cell lines; animal models of diabetes.
- PhD Biochemical Pharmacology, Leicester University Medical School, 1993.
- BSc(Hons)DIS Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Loughborough University of Technology, 1988.
- 10/99 – 09/07 Royal Society University Research Fellow
- Personal grants of over £1 million; over 50 full peer-reviewed papers; H-index of 27; 2250+ citations
- Fellow of the British Pharmacological Society (FBPhS)
- Honorary Visiting Fellow, University of Leicester, UK
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Biochemical Society
- British Pharmacological Society
Current areas of activity
- Year 1, Year 2, medical curriculum teaching
- BSc(Hons) nursing
- SSP supervisor
- Academic Lead, Learning Community
- Co-supervisor, Dilmun Scholar
- Supervisor, undergraduate research projects
- Applicant interviews
- Member, RCSI Research Committee
- Member, NHRA Clinical Trials Committee