This is a challenging time for healthcare, and for communicating in healthcare encounters. We are most effective when we are mindful of not only what we say, but how we say it. Below is a list of guides to resources to support and enhance your COVID-19 communication skills.
- BPS Guide on how to talk to your children about coronavirus issues
- National Healthcare Communication Programme
- IHF – Supporting the patient: Tips for healthcare workers
- IHF – Supporting the family: Tips for healthcare workers
- IHF – Breaking bad news: COVID-19
- IHF – Advance care planning for health and social care professionals
- IHF – Position statement on end-of-life care in healthcare settings during the COVID-19 pandemic
Some practical tips for managing communication with families and patients who are deteriorating – a simple toolkit aimed at helping colleagues who are heavily occupied with the COVID-19 emergency.