The ability to communicate effectively is a key component of a doctor’s competency and has been shown to be important for patient satisfaction, adherence and a range of patient outcomes. Time efficient communication skills can be learnt which assist the doctor to achieve these goals within the context of a busy day.
Faculty: Ms Eva Doherty, Prof. Peter Gillen
- Understand the specific skills of gathering and giving information.
- Be able to demonstrate and use the effective skills of gathering and giving information following the opportunity to practice these skills.
- Understand the strategies and techniques which facilitate effective communication and reduce the risk of error.
- Be familiar with the communication techniques which are useful in challenging consultations with patients and their relatives.
- Be familiar with relevant research evidence regarding communication issues with patients and relatives.