Joint management and collaboration of the ICU intensivist and the surgeon is vital for the post-operative patient. The course will look at patient monitoring, diagnostic decision-making and treatment options for surgical patients in the ICU.
This course is suitable for SHOs and registrars in all surgical specialties.
Faculty: Dr Ian Conrick-Martin, ICU, Mater Hospital; Dr Andrew Westbrook, ICU, St Vincent’s Hospital; Prof. James Murray, Director of Simulation, RCSI
- Understand the basics of haemodynamic monitoring.
- Communicate more efficiently with ICU doctors on the management of a surgical case.
- Appreciate the decision for mechanical ventilation in acute respiratory failure.
- Have a better understanding of arterial blood gas analysis.
- Know the signs of sepsis and septic shock.
- Understand the theory behind the treatment of oliguria and acute renal failure.
- Have insight into the metabolic and electrolyte changes that occur in the trauma patient.