In this course, you will master your knot tying and suturing skills from first principles. Experienced consultant surgeons will give you formative feedback on local anesthetic application, your instrument handling, tissue manipulation, and minor operative techniques.
Once your skills have been practiced you will perform minor operating procedures such as excision of a lesion, abscess drainage, sebaceous cyst and lipoma excision and ingrown toenail management. The principles of skin grafting and simple local flap design will be demonstrated.
- A knowledge of surgical instrument names, uses and correct handling
- Performed one-handed knots and instrument ties
- Performed five different suturing techniques for wound closure
- An understanding of the principles of dissection and closure technics used in the minor operating theatre
- Perform minor operations such as the excision of a pigmented lesion, sebaceous cyst, a lipoma and the germinal layer in an ingrown toenail
- Gain an understanding of the principles of skin grafting and simple local flap closure
In this practical course we will use a combination of synthetic and animal tissue (porcine).
Suitable for: SHOs in all surgical specialties; emergency medicine doctors