This course involves a combination of short lectures, simulation scenarios, as well as interactive workshops to introduce you to the assessment and management of minor injuries presenting to the emergency department. The course is delivered by a combination of emergency medicine physicians, as well as specialists in exercise and sports medicine.
While current strategies have emphasised the perceived gaps in major trauma management, compared to international standards, minor trauma and sport and exercise medicine continue to account for over 40% of emergency department presentations in Ireland.
Topics covered include:
- Minor head trauma – the standardised concussion assessment tool
- Trauma to the finger and hand
- Upper limb trauma
- Shoulder injuries
- Spinal trauma
- Ankle and foot injuries
- Knee injuries
- Hip and pelvic injuries
- To develop awareness of the standardised concussion assessment.
- To practice the assessment and management of common lower and upper limb injuries.
- To review of pitfalls and pearls in minor trauma.