Suitable for: SHOs and registrars in all surgical specialties; emergency medicine doctors
This intensive half-day course covers all aspects of an inquest including the Coroner's investigation, the inquest hearing and media coverage. It will assist doctors who attend inquests to understand the functions, powers and duties of the Coroner and the scope of the inquest.
A lawyer will guide delegates on effective statement-writing, preparation and presentation of oral evidence at an inquest. You will learn through realistic role-plays with discussion and feedback, and gain confidence in your ability to prepare for and present evidence at an inquest.
- Function of the Coroner
- Scope and purpose of the inquest
- Coroner's investigation: process and procedure
- Writing a statement
- Procedure at the inquest
- Role of the expert witness
- Handling the media
- Preparing for giving evidence in the Coroner's Court
- Taking the oath/affirmation with confidence
- Making appropriate use of supporting evidence, documents and notes
- Giving confident and clear testimony