This course introduces a structured approach to acute psychiatric emergencies for patients presenting to hospital in an acute crisis. It outlines the practical, ethical and legal issues relevant in managing such scenarios in Ireland.
The content is delivered by a combination of emergency medicine physicians and liaison psychiatrists. A combination of simulated scenarios with professional actors and interactive case discussions are used.
Topics covered include:
- Medical clearance of the psychiatric patient
- Self-harm and risk assessment
- Alcohol addiction and intoxication
- The patient behaving strangely
- Managing aggression and agitation in the ED
- Legislation in Ireland (The Mental Health Act, The Capacity Act)