Suitable for: NCHDs in general surgery with an interest in colorectal surgery
This is a gastrointestinal skills course that concentrates on the operative management of hernias, bowel anastomosis and bowel diversion surgery. During the course, you will learn procedures using low and high-fidelity models in our wet lab facility with the constructive feedback of experienced consultants in general and colorectal surgery.
- Improved decision-making in bowel closure methods or diversion
- Practice in the principals of bowel tissue handling and suturing
- Understanding and practice of the creation of an end ileostomy
- Practiced in the creation of a loop ileostomy and a colostomy
- Knowledge of the up-to-date principals in hernia repair
- Confidence in performing an open inguinal hernia repair