This is a gastrointestinal skills course that concentrates on the operative management of hernias, bowel anastomosis and bowel diversion surgery. During the course, you will learn procedures using low and high-fidelity models in our wet lab facility with the constructive feedback of experienced consultants in general and colorectal surgery.
This programme covers instruction in technical skills using a combination of synthetic bench models, animal cadaver tissue and various technical simulators.
The course is suitable for NCHDs in general surgery with an interest in colorectal surgery.
Lead facilitator: Ms Maria Whelan
- Improved decision making in bowel closure methods or diversion.
- Practice in the principals of bowel tissue handling and suturing.
- An understanding and practice of the creation of an end ileostomy.
- Understanding of the creation of a loop ileostomy and a colostomy.
- Knowledge of the up-to-date principals in hernia repair.
- More confidence in performing an open inguinal hernia repair.