An intensive half day training programme, which examines the current law in relation to consent and capacity in Ireland and reviews recent cases before the superior courts. The Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Act 2015 is also covered, with discussions around its implications for practice.
A central theme of this training is in-depth discussion of the legal and ethical dilemmas presented by the issue of capacity and its assessment.
- Consent and the ingredients of a valid consent
- The importance of consent in practice
- The National Consent Policy
- Capacity: the current legal position
- Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Legal position of the next-of-kin
- Do not Attempt Resuscitation orders (DNARs)
- Recent cases before the superior courts
- The Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Act 2015
- Advance Healthcare Directives
Suitable for: SHOs and registrars in all surgical specialties; emergency medicine doctors