Suitable for: SHOs and registrars in all surgical specialties; emergency medicine doctors
An intensive half day training programme, which examines the current law in relation to consent and capacity in Ireland and reviews recent cases before the superior courts. The Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Act 2015 is also covered, with discussions around its implications for practice.
A central theme of this training is in-depth discussion of the legal and ethical dilemmas presented by the issue of capacity and its assessment.
- Consent and the ingredients of a valid consent
- The importance of consent in practice
- The National Consent Policy
- Capacity: the current legal position
- Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Legal position of the next-of-kin
- Do not Attempt Resuscitation orders (DNARs)
- Recent cases before the superior courts
- The Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Act 2015
- Advance Healthcare Directives