Breast Cancer Biobank
The Breast Cancer Biobank at Beaumont RCSI Cancer Centre is supported by the translational Cancer Trials Ireland clinical trial (CTRIAL-IE 09/07). The resource was set up by Prof. Leonie Young and Prof. Arnold Hill at RCSI in 2006 and was formally launched in 2010 by the then Minister for Health, Mary Harney TD.
The Breast Cancer Biobank is committed to openness and transparency in its regulatory procedures and the research it supports. The study is fully GDPR compliant and has HRCDC approval. Investigators interested in applying for tissue can complete a request form and submit to the Breast Cancer Biobank Committee along with relevant ethics and regulatory documentation for consideration.
The translational trial has >3,500 patients recruited to date. The trial is open in all eight designated national cancer hospitals with dedicated research nurses resourced in four sites. The biobank holds patient tissue (FF/FFPE, RNA/DNA), serial-blood (plasma/serum) and patient derived (PDX)-models with corresponding clinical data on 7,034 cases from each of the designated cancer hospitals which is monitored with an inventory and sample tracking software system.
National and international studies supported by the Breast Cancer Biobank include:
- SFI Strategic Partnership Programme: Precision Oncology Ireland
- Breast Cancer NOW, UK. Clinical assessment of PARPi in the treatment of breast cancer
- Breast Cancer Ireland. Targeted treatment for metastatic breast cancer
- Mapping molecular subtype specific alterations in breast cancer brain metastases identifies clinically relevant vulnerabilities
- A clinically compatible drug-screening platform based on organotypic cultures identifies vulnerabilities to prevent and treat brain metastasis
- Comparative analysis of the AIB1 interactome in breast cancer reveals MTA2 as a repressive partner which silences E-Cadherin to promote EMT and associates with a pro-metastatic phenotype
Breast Cancer Biobank Manager, Beaumont RCSI Cancer Centre, Dublin 9.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org