Transition Year MiniMed programme
The RCSI Transition Year (TY) MiniMed programme takes place annually in RCSI and offers transition year students an excellent opportunity to gain experience of what it is like to train and work as a healthcare professional. The programme consists of lectures, practical’s and real-life surgeries via video link to the operating theatre, all of which are carried out by leading professionals in their respective areas.
Our next programme will take place in February 2024 and all schools will be notified by September 2023 to register for the school lottery.
Students, if you are interested in taking part in 2024, please contact your TY Coordinator in September 2023 for details on the 2024 programme.
Should you have any queries about the programme please email Fiona at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: RCSI does not accept individual student applications nor offer individual work experience to TY students on our campus or in our affiliated hospitals.
Frequently asked questions
- What is this programme about? The Transition Year MiniMed programme is specifically designed to encourage post-primary students to consider careers in healthcare.
- Will I get paid to take part? No. The programme is work experience, not a job, therefore there is no monetary reward.
- I'm not sure yet if I want to study medicine; is there any point in my doing this programme? Yes, as long as you like science/medicine! It's usually a good idea to try something first before deciding if it's really what you want to do. You might discover a passion for a particular field of medicine during the programme and it would be a shame to miss the chance to try it out. You might find that it's not what you want to do after all but at least you would know this based on experience rather than an idea of what you think it would be like.
- What do students say about the programme? Quotes from past participant include:
- "I really enjoyed the course especially the sessions where we could discuss the subjects in detail and ask our questions."
- "This was a great week and provided me with lots of priceless information."
- "I would definitely recommend this placement to others because it's interesting and you see expensive machines that do some amazing things!"