Court of Examiners
The remit of the Court of Examiner’s is to increase the profile of postgraduate surgical examining at RCSI and to make such examining activity more relevant and attractive to the College's surgical community in Ireland and overseas.
The Court’s Executive Committee is responsible for examiner recruitment and development and seeks to make examining more relevant to this community, in terms of continuing professional development (CPD).
There is a common Chair for the Court of Examiners and the Court’s Executive Committee. The current Chair is RCSI Council Member and Supervising MRCS Examiner, Mr Eamon Mackle.
The work of the Court of Examiners is coordinated through the following Chapters:
- RCSI Court of Examiners – Ireland and Great Britain
- RCSI Court of Examiners – Gulf
- RCSI Court of Examiners – South East Asia
The Chapters provide a structure for local engagement; promote a sense of inclusivity, allow the College to enhance its profile in these regions, and facilitate the establishment of local examiner pools.
There is an annual meeting and dinner for all Chapters, which is held in tandem with another annual College meeting or exam.
RCSI is currently recruiting surgical examiners for the College's MRCS exam centres in Ireland, Bahrain, Malaysia and the UAE.
We invite applications from RCSI Fellows who are in active clinical practice in one of any of the following countries: Ireland, the UK, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand or Vietnam.
Members of the RCSI Court of Examiners are kept informed on developments and international best practice in clinical assessment at the Annual Court of Examiners Meeting and are awarded Professional Competence Scheme (PCS) credits for examining and attending the meeting. Members also receive a complimentary member's pack (with RCSI Court of Examiners merchandise).
If you are interested in becoming a Member, please complete the application form below and return it to email@example.com.
As part of your application, you are required to submit contact details of two referees. These referees should be one of the following:
- Postgraduate tutor in your trust
- Medical director
- Postgraduate dean
- Programme director
- Regional specialty advisor or regional advisor
- Head of an academic department of surgery
For overseas applicants, referees should occupy an equivalent post to those listed above.
- ICBSE Annual Report, 2018-2019
- Equality and Diversity Policy
- Examiner rotation guidelines
- Regulatory investigations
- Intercollegiate Committee for Basic Surgical Examinations (ICBSE)
- Joint Committee on Intercollegiate Examinations (JCIE)
- Joint Surgical Colleges Fellowship Examinations (JSCFE)
- Call for applications for ICBSE and JCST Chairs