Our Fellows are at the global forefront of surgical advancement in both research and practice, and we are deeply committed to supporting them professionally at every stage of their career.
There are currently three pathways to Fellowship of RCSI (FRCSI):
|Fellowship by Examination||Fellowship Ad Eundem||Honorary Fellowship|
This is the most-common route to FRCSI and is a demonstration of commitment on the surgeons’ part to their career and to the College.
It is also an acknowledgement of their contribution to the surgical profession, its standards and practice.
Fellowship Ad Eundem is offered to surgeons who, in the opinion of the College, have reached a standard in surgery commensurate with that of a practising consultant surgeon, of Good Standing, in Ireland at a similar stage of career.
It is a privilege earned through hard work and commitment to excellence. Details on eligibility and how to apply are available in the FAQ section.
Honorary Fellowship of RCSI is the highest distinction the College bestows, recognising outstanding achievement in surgery as well as outstanding achievements in other areas.
Notable non-surgical fellows of RCSI include Bob Geldof, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter and Padraig Harrington. A complete list of RCSI’s Honorary Fellows can be viewed here.
Benefits of FRCSI
Fellows of RCSI receive a wide range of benefits, including:
- Subscriptions to RCSI publications, including the biannual Surgeons Scope magazine, the bimonthly Surgeon Journal, and the monthly eNewsletter Surgical Bulletin.
- An RCSI welcome pack and invitation to attend your preferred RCSI Conferring Ceremony
- Invitations and discounted attendance rates to RCSI events
- Up to 40% discount on venue hire and College facilities at RCSI for professional and social events
- Access to the onsite libraries at 26 York Street, RCSI Dublin, and RCSI Bahrain
- 10% discount on RCSI Online
- 20% discount on all Cambridge University Press titles
- Dedicated travel management services by RCSI Travel
- Discounted onsite parking at RCSI Dublin
- The opportunity to influence the governance of RCSI by proposing candidates for election to Council of RCSI, and voting in said election
- The opportunity to get involved with the RCSI Court of Examiners
- Representation on Joint Surgical Training Committees
- Verification of your FRCSI award
- An annual discount (€150) on your Professional Competence Scheme (PCS) fee, when paid in conjunction with your annual subscription (Ireland only)
If you would like to enquire about receiving any of the benefits listed above, please email the Fellows and Members team.Pay your subscription