Membership of the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery offers professional development, learning and networking opportunities to registered nurses and midwives meeting the application criteria.
Features of membership
- Membership means subscribing to the mission, vision and values of the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery, including life-long learning which you can access through CPD programmes.
- Membership gives you the right to use the title MFNMRCSI (Membership of the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery, RCSI).
Learning opportunities are delivered through a ‘blended’ approach. This means delivering CPD and other clinical, education, management and research programmes through both face-to-face and online learning.
- Membership provides a conduit to support nurses and midwives to adapt to new policies and future innovations, as we face a future in which Irish health service policy will significantly change.
- Membership of professional groups is highly valued as a means of demonstrating professional interest and motivation; it makes explicit individual priorities and professional commitment and is considered a competitive advantage in terms of seeking new job opportunities.
Applicants complete an online portfolio of evidence via the Faculty’s ePortfolio.
Membership requires applicants to complete a reflective portfolio providing evidence of the applicant’s personal and professional qualifications and their ongoing engagement with lifelong learning and continuing professional development (CPD).
The portfolio requires applicants to demonstrate their understanding of the following concepts:
- Quality person-centred compassionate care
- Mentorship and preceptorship
- Engagement with continuing professional development (CPD)
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Future professional development
The ePortfolio also requires candidates to demonstrate their understanding of the concepts of reflection in a 2,000-word reflection assessment focused on a professional initiative in which they were involved.
Please download the resource below for detailed guidance on how to undertake a reflection assessment.
The ePortfolio is reviewed by two Internal Examiners, while an External Examiner reviews all aspects of the process ensuring that standards and quality assurance processes are maintained.
Pass or fail.
If you are unsuccessful, you will be notified of arrangements for re-application. A maximum of one re-application is permitted for the award of Membership.
If you wish to appeal a result, please do so in writing to the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery.
Applicants must possess a degree in nursing, midwifery or equivalent or a postgraduate diploma. We also offer a route for those who do not hold these qualifications through accreditation of prior experiential learning (APEL).
If you hold an MSc qualification or equivalent, and are more than five years qualified, you may be interested in Fellowship by Examination (FFNMRCSI) Award.
Applications for the 2023-2024 Membership of the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery are now open.
Applications can be made via the faculty’s CPD portfolio, and close on 1 May 2024.
For more information, join one of our interactive webinar sessions from 12-1pm (Irish time) on 31 January, 28 February or 27 March 2024 using this link.
- Membership application fee: €95
Note: You will be able to make payment once you start the application process.