How to apply
All applicants for the ASTEM programme at RCSI must:
- Submit evidence to prove eligibility and commencement of registration on either the general or the trainee division of the Irish Medical Council at the time of application.
- Hold the Membership of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine (MRCEM/Primary and Intermediate FRCEM) diploma by the application close date.
- Be able to communicate clearly with patients and colleagues – details of which are outlined in the HSE's English language requirements document below.
- Familiarise themselves with the Guidance on Allocation of Training Places to EM document and ASTEM Score Guide, below.
Please note: Applications for Advanced Specialist Training in Emergency Medicine 2023 are now closed. The next intake will open in due course.
Entrants to ASTEM are recruited by one of two routes:
- Assessment of Suitability for Advanced Training (ASAT) for CSTEM year three trainees; and
- Competitive multi-station interview for CSTEM second chance and non-CSTEM applicants.