RCSI SIM uses high-fidelity patient simulators in the fields of emergency medicine, surgery, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, neurology, anaesthesia, nursing and other clinical specialties.
Simulation scenarios include critical actions in both clinical management and communication skills. A dedicated simulation faculty guide students through scenarios designed to address complex issues, such as end-of-life concerns, informed consent and disclosure of medical errors. Each simulation space allows for multi-angle video capture to enable participants to reflect on their performance independently and in an interactive debriefing session with others following the simulation scenario.
The Centre incorporates the National Surgical and Clinical Skills Centre, where professionals and trainees can master their skills in our multi-purpose ‘wet-lab’, Surgical Simulator Suite and fully-functioning operating theatre. Each area is equipped with the latest laparoscopic equipment and cameras to assist in teaching even the most precise skills.
Take a tour of our incredible facilities with RCSI SIM Manager Michelle Scott below.
Overview of RCSI SIM facilities:
- Large, fully-equipped and multi-purpose ‘wet-lab’ accommodating up to 30 trainees.
- Large Surgical Simulator Suite accommodating 20 trainees with a vast array of state-of-the-art augmented reality simulators.
- Mock operating room, designed for interprofessional team training and non-technical skills (human factors) training with an adjacent separate control room and viewing/debrief room.
- Eight hospital ward simulation rooms, which use high-fidelity manikins to develop students’ clinical skills, as well as to build their confidence in dealing with emergency situations, such as complications during labour.
- 10 outpatient consultation rooms where simulated patients assist in developing students’ consultation skills.
- Task training laboratory with a full range of teaching models, manikins and task trainers.
- Patient lounge for simulated patient teams to congregate and rehearse scenarios.
Take a virtual tour of the RCSI SIM Centre at 26 York Street. A detailed simulation equipment catalogue is also available below.RCSI Simulation Equipment Catalogue PDF | 2877.7 KB
"With competency-based training becoming necessary as a result of EWTD legislation, the streamlining of training schemes and the advent of newer laparoscopic surgery and robotic platforms there are increasing challenges for trainees in gaining sufficient operative exposure. The RCSI simulation programme really helped me in overcoming some of these obstacles. It is an engaging and collaborative environment to learn in, with enthusiastic demonstrators and technicians. Over the course of the CST simulation programme I really noticed an improvement in my operative performance and ergonomics that I could later transfer to the operating room."
Éanna Ryan, surgical trainee