Operation Childlife Clinical Travel Fellowship
Through the Operation Childlife Clinical Travel Fellowship, RCSI and Operation ChildLife are working together to support surgical trainees or medical professionals gain additional expertise by participating in paediatric healthcare missions, led by Irish hospital consultants, doctors and nurses who plan and deliver two-week programmes of care, with Operation Childlife in Vietnam, Tanzania, Mongolia and Jordan.
The Fellowship will seek to:
- Healthcare: Provide surgical and/or clinical healthcare to children in Vietnam, Tanzania, Mongolia and Jordan (other locations may be considered) as part of Operation Childlife’s healthcare missions.
- Experience: Provide a surgical and clinical experience to healthcare professionals above and beyond what would they would likely derive in Ireland, returning with enhanced skills, knowledge and connections to benefit the Irish health system, education and training, and patients as well as contributing to global health outcomes.
- Collaboration: Gain clinical experience working on a placement with leading surgeons and healthcare professionals volunteering on a two-week medical mission with Operation Childlife.
- Funding: Offer up to €3,000 financial support towards travel and accommodation costs associated to undertaking such a placement.
- Relationships: Develop professional relationships between trainees, surgeons and healthcare professionals during and beyond the scope of the placement.
- Partners: Deliver an enhanced partnership for Operation Childlife, the hospitals where missions take place, and RCSI through multi-year collaborations. This might include conducting or supporting research project activities and/or present and attend meetings and forums in the location.
- Share: Present a detailed Fellowship report, including using written, photo and video formats, on the Fellowship.
Operation Childlife and RCSI will consider applications and make awards based on the following criteria:
- Merits of proposed Fellowship in relation to the applicant's learning objectives
- The applicant's CV
- Likely value to the Irish health system
Applications for the Operation Childlife Clinical Travel Fellowship are now closed.
The next intake will open in due course.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide RCSI with a full report within three months of completing the Fellowship, including photos and videos from their experience.