RCSI Travel Grants
The purpose of the Fund is to promote international goodwill in surgery by providing financial assistance to allow travel overseas to visit centres of excellence for clinical training purposes. The experience to be gained from the overseas visit would not normally be available to the applicant in Ireland.
The number and value of grants awarded will be at the discretion of the Selection Board on an annual basis.
The minimum value of each grant will be €1,000 and higher amounts at the discretion of the Selection Board.
The Board will meet in the spring of each year to consider the award of the grants and to make recommendations to the College.
RCSI works in partnership with companies across the healthcare sector to advance surgical education and training. RCSI thanks Johnson & Johnson MedTech for its ongoing support to surgery in Ireland.
Applications will be considered from the following:
- Surgical trainees who, at the date of application, are at an advanced stage of surgical training in the RCSI, and are Members or Fellows of the RCSI and in good standing.
- Fellows or Members of the RCSI in good standing who have completed surgical training in the RCSI within two years from the date of application.
Candidates are encouraged to plan as far in advance as possible as retrospective applications may be disqualified. The Selection Board favours applicants who have already received academic distinction in their postgraduate education and applications which demonstrate that the applicant is using their initiative to obtain experience above and beyond that which they would likely derive from clinical experience in Ireland.
The applicants must have clear and specific objectives for the proposed visit. The Board does not favour applications for travel grants from those wishing to attend conferences or scientific meetings.
Among the criteria the Board will consider in making its recommendations, will be the:
- merits of the proposed centre in relation to the candidate’s learning objectives;
- candidate’s curriculum vitae; and
- likely value to the Irish health service from the proposed overseas visit.
Applications are currently closed.
Information on the next intake will be available in due course.
The following were successful in receiving this award in previous years.