Dr Ebrahim RajabSenior Lecturer in Human Biology
Director of Foundation Year
Area of Expertise
Motor learning and neural plasticity in type 1 and type 2 rodent models of diabetes; particular interest in exercise interventions, nutritional supplements, and erythropoietin as preventative and therapeutic approaches./p>
- PhD Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Nottingham, 1999.
- MSc Physiotherapy, University of Ulster, 2005.
- BSc(Hons) Physiology and Sports Science, University of Glasgow, 1993.
- Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. AdvanceHE, U.K. (2021).
- Registered Physiotherapist, HCPC, U.K.
- Registered Physiotherapist, NHRA, Bahrain.
- European Association for the study of Diabetes
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (U.K.)
Current areas of activity
- Foundation Year Director
- Deputy Convener of RCSI Bahrain Research Ethics Committee
- Coordinator Human Systems Module.
- Academic lead for Personal Tutor System
- Neuroprotective effects of erythropoietin in diabetic mice.
- Sex differences in learning and memory following short-term dietary restriction in rats.
- Cognitive performance and convulsion risk after experimentally-induced febrile-seizures in rats
- Principal Investigator on (i) neuroprotective effects of gum Arabic in type 2 diabetes; (ii) anti-diabetic properties of novel PBT-2 metal chelates. Both projects in collaboration with Arabian Gulf University.
- Co-investigator on Sigma-1 receptors and type 2 diabetes
- Co-investigator on benefits of community-based exercise rehabilitation on fitness, health, and well-being in diabetes
- Sefen JA, Alsalmi S, Shaikh Z, AlMulhem JT, Rajab E, Fredricks S. Beneficial Use and Potential Effectiveness of Physical Activity in Managing Autism Spectrum Disorder. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 14, 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2020.587560.
- Maki D, Rajab E, Watson PJ, Critchley DJ. Determinants of self-reported disability in Arab patients with chronic low back pain. Pain and Rehabilitation – The Journal of the Physiotherapy Pain Association, 49, 17-29, 2020.
- Trinidad PB, Shibu LM, Caballero NR, Rajab E. Management of undergraduate Community-Based Rehabilitation Programmes in the Philippines: a Cross-Sectional Survey. Disability, CBR and Inclusive Deelopment. 31, 47-73, 2020.
- Tantawy SA, Kamel DM, Rajab E, El Sayed N, Abdelbasset WK. Correlation between body mass index, neck and hip circumferences as indicators of obesity among a representative cohort of adolescent in Bahrain: A preliminary cross sectional study. Medicine, 99, 17, e19950, 2020. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000019950.
- Othman MAM, Rajab E, AlMubarak A, AlNaisar M, Bahzad N, Kamal A. Erythropoietin Protects Against Cognitive Impairment and Hippocampal Neurodegeneration in Diabetic Mice. Behavioral Sciences. 2018;9(1):4.
- Maki D, Rajab E, Watson PJ, Critchley DJ. The coping strategies questionnaire in an Arabic low back pain population. Journal of the Physiotherapy Pain Association. 2018; 45, 25-37.
- Rajab E, Al-Kafaji G, Al Enazi H, Al Qassab N, Sakusic A, Kamal A. Additive benefits of environmental enrichment and voluntary exercise on cognition and motor coordination in diabetic mice. Bahrain Medical Bulletin 39, 11-16, 2017.
- Maki D, Rajab E, Watson PJ, Critchley DJ. Cross-cultural translation, adaptation and psychometric properties of the Back Beliefs Questionnaire in Modern Standard Arabic. Disability and Rehabilitation 39(3):272-280, 2016.
- Rajab E, Alqanbar B, Naiser MJ, Abdulla HA, Al-Momen MM, Kamal A. Sex differences in learning and memory following short-term dietary restriction in the rat. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 36, 74-80, 2014.
- Rajab E, Abdeen Z, Hassan Z, AlSaffar Y, Mandeel M, Al Shawaaf, Al-Ansari A, Kamel A. Cognitive performance and convulsion risk after experimentally-induced febrile-seizures in rat. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 34, 19-23, 2014.
- Maki D, Rajab E, Watson PJ, Critchley DJ. Cross-cultural translation, adaptation and validation of the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire into Modern Standard Arabic. Spine 39(25):E1537-44, 2014.
- Rajab KE, Issa AA, Hasan Z, Rajab E, Jaradat A. Incidence of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Bahrain during the period 2002 – 2010: a retrospective study of 49,552 pregnant women. International Journal of Gynaecology & Obstetrics 117, 74-7, 2012.
- Rajab P, Fox J, Riaz S, Tomlinson D, Ball D, Greenhaff PL. Skeletal muscle myosin heavy chain isoforms and energy metabolism after clenbuterol treatment in the rat. American. Journal of Physiology. 279, R1076-1081, 2000.