Professor Michael KeoghAssociate Professor in Human Biology & Director of Research Laboratories
Area of Expertise
- Lead Investigator and chair of the Regenerative Medicine laboratory and TERG-Bahrain (tissue engineering research group).
- Interests in Adipose stem cells, diabetes, aging, neuropathy and tissue engineered constructs.
- Gene activated biomaterials for soft tissue wound healing: using angiogenic and neurogenic gene activated scaffolds and adipose stem cell constructs
- PDT and metastatic inhibition in Breast/prostate cancer
- Principal investigator on water and health. Solar disinfection and community interventions.
- PhD Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine, RCSI, Ireland (2010)
- MSc. Occupational Health, NUIG, Ireland (2003)
- BSc. Biotechnology NUIM, Ireland (2002)
Current areas of activity
- Senior Lecturer in Human Biology
- Manager of the RCSI research laboratories
- RSS supervisor (research summer school).
- Think Pink Breast cancer society Bahrain
- AMBER (Advanced Materials & BioEngineering Research)
- 3U Partnership
- European Commission SFERA (Solar Facilities for the European Research Area), Spain
- University of Limerick, Ireland
- Arabian Gulf University, Bahrain
- Al-Jawahara Centre, Bahrain.
- Keogh, M. B., O' Brien F.J., Daly, J. S. (2010) “A novel collagen scaffold supports human osteogenesis-applications for bone tissue engineering” Cell Tissue Res 2010 340 (1): 169-77
- Keogh, M. B., O' Brien F.J., Daly, J. S. (2010) “Substrate stiffness and contractile behaviour modulate the functional maturation of osteoblasts on a collagen GAG scaffold” Acta biomaterialia (6): 4305-4313
- Keogh, M. B., Partap S., O' Brien F.J., Daly, J. S. (2011) “Flow perfusion bioreactor improves osteogenesis of human cells within a collagen glycosaminoglycan scaffold” Journal of Biotechnology & bioengineering 108: 1203-1210
- Keogh M.B., Castro- M., M. I. Polo-Lopez, Isabel Fernandez Calderero, Y. A. Al-Eryani, C. Joseph-Titus, B. Sawant, R. Dhodapkar, C. Mathur, K. G. McGuigan, Fernandez-Ibanez P. (2015) “Capability of 19-litre polycarbonate plastic water cooler containers Alferez for efficient solar water disinfection (SODIS): field case studies in India, Bahrain and Spain”. Solar Energy. 16: 1-11
- Keogh M. B., Ahmed D., Abouzaid C., Elmusharaf K. (2015) ‘Awareness of healthcare workers to Total Parenteral Feeding in Neonatal Units’ Bahrain Med Bull 37 (2):114-116
- Borde P. Elmusharaf K, Mc Guigan K.G., Keogh M.B. (2016) Community challenges when using large plastic bottles for solar energy disinfection of water. BMC Public Health 16:931
- Keogh M.B., Elmusharaf K., Borde P. Mc Guigan K.G (2017) Evaluation of the natural coagulant Moringae olifera as a pretreatment for SODIS in contaminated turbid water. Solar Energy Vol 158, Pages 448-454
- Babiker, R., Elmusharaf, K., Keogh, M.B., & Saeed, A.M. (2018). Effect of Gum Arabic (Acacia Senegal) supplementation on visceral adiposity index (VAI) and blood pressure in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus as indicators of cardiovascular disease (CVD): a randomized and placebo-controlled clinical trial. Lipids in health and disease. Pages 1-8.
- Rasha Babiker, Khalifa Elmusharaf, Michael B. Keogh, Amin S. I. Banaga, Amal M. Saeed. Metabolic effect of Gum Arabic (Acacia Senegal) in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM): Randomized, placebo controlled double blind trial. Vol 7, No 3 (2017)
- Laiva A, O’ Brien, F.J., Keogh M.B "Innovations in Genes and Growth Factor delivery systems for Diabetic Wound Healing." (2018) Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 12(1), e296-e312.
- Laiva, A. L., Raftery, R. M., Keogh, M. B., O'Brien, F. J. (2018). Pro-angiogenic impact of SDF-1α gene-activated collagen-based scaffolds in stem cell driven angiogenesis. International journal of Pharmaceutics, 544(2), 372-379.
- Albusta N., Keogh M. B., Akhtar S., Henari F. (2018) Detection of glucose using gold nanoparticles prepared by green synthesis. International Journals of Multidisciplinary Research Academy 11-12
- Al Hannan, F, Keogh, MB, Taha, S, Al Buainain, L. (2019) Characterization of BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic variants in a cohort of Bahraini breast cancer patients using next‐generation sequencing. Mol Genet Genomic Med; e771. https://doi.org/10.1002/mgg3.771
- Laiva, AL, O'Brien, FJ, Keogh, MB. SDF‐1α gene‐activated collagen scaffold drives functional differentiation of human Schwann cells for wound healing applications. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. (2020); 1– 12. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.27601
- Suku M, Laiva AL, O'Brien FJ, Keogh MB. Anti-Ageing Protein β-Klotho Rejuvenates Diabetic Stem Cells for Improved Gene-Activated Scaffold Based Wound Healing. J Pers Med. (2020) 22;11(1):E4. doi: 10.3390/jpm11010004. PMID: 33375065.
- Laiva, AL, O'Brien, FJ, Keogh, MB. SDF-1α gene-activated collagen scaffold enhances pro-vasculogenic response in a co-culture of human endothelial cells with human adipose-derived stromal cells Journal of Material Science: Materials in Medicine (Accepted and in press 2020)
- Ashang Luwang Laiva, Fergal J. O’Brien, Michael B. Keogh SDF-1α gene-activated collagen scaffold restores pro-angiogenic wound healing features in human diabetic adipose-derived stem cells. Journal of Biomedicines (Accepted and in press 2021)