Dr. Patrick A WalshSenior Lecturer in Physiology & HCPC Registered Clinical Scientist
I received my B.Sc. in Physiology from University College Cork (1974) followed by an M.Sc. in Medicinal Chemistry from Loughborough University of Technology, Leicestershire, UK (1976) and a Ph.D. in Physiology from the National University of Ireland Galway (1985).
I worked as a Biochemist (Basic Grade) in the Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, St. James’s Hospital, Dublin, for 12 months during the period 1974-75. From 1982-85, I was employed as a Biochemist (Senior Grade) at St. John’s & Barrington’s Hospitals in Limerick. This was followed by 27 years as a faculty member at Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), with an appointment as a Lecturer in the Biomedical Sciences, and then moved to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain as Senior Lecturer in Physiology in 2013.
Selected honours include highest score in M.Sc. thesis and recipient of a Research Fellowship from the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG).
- University admission interviews.
- Examiner of postgraduate students taking the MRCS examination.
- Chair of RCSI Bahrain Student Affairs Committee (SAC).
- Member of RCSI examination appeals panel.
- External examiner in Physiology to the University Of Medical Sciences & Technology (UMST), Khartoum, Sudan.
Area of Expertise
- Clinical Biochemistry: analytical methodologies, report interpretation, & QC.
- Physiology: renal acid-base homeostatic mechanisms.
- Medicinal Chemistry: investigation of the biological activities of natural products. Drug metabolism & Pharmacokinetics, including animal husbandry, small animal surgical techniques, collection of body fluids, and drug and chemical analysis using HPLC, GLC, and Immunoassay.
- Medical Education: Development of undergraduate curriculum and assessment methodologies.
- Walsh, PA & O’Donovan, DJ. The physiological conundrum of inorganic phosphate stimulation of urinary ammonium excretion in the acidotic rabbit. Physiology 2019 (Aberdeen, UK) Proc. Physiol. Soc. 2019; 43, PC203
- Walsh, P. & O’Donovan, D.J. An appraisal of the in vivo role of phosphate as a modulator of urinary ammonium and titratable acid excretion in the acidotic rabbit. Journal of Animal Physiology & Animal Nutrition 2019; 103 (4): DOI: 10.1111/jpn.13143
- Iqdam Tobbia, Abdelhaleem Bella, Stephen Safrany, Colin Greengrass, Amnah Al Banna, Nabila Mann-Isah, & Patrick Walsh. Debating the merits and dangers of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Bahrain Medical Bulletin 2019; 41(2), pp. 65 – 66.
- Walsh, P. Rosemary: potion or poison? J Prim Health Care 2019; 11 (1): pp 82-83. doi:10.1071/HC15940
- C. Donnellan, N. Redhab, M. Al Bannac, I. Al Sharoqib, A. Al-Jishi, M. Bakhiet, S. Taha, F. Abdulla, & P. Walsh. Associations between ApoE gene and psychological consequences post stroke in a Bahraini cohort. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 2019; 39 pp.135–142